Wednesday, 5 November 2008

Taco Ring

This is my adaption of the 'Pampered Chef Taco Ring'. I used larger crescent rolls, ground turkey and my own taco mix.

I really do not like store bought taco mix, as I find that it tends to be way too salty for my taste, so I make my own and keep it in an airtight container.

Taco Mix

8 tbsps chili powder
3 tsps garlic powder
3 tsps onion powder
3 tsps crushed red pepper
2 tsps dried oregano
4 tsps paprika
12 tsps ground cumin
2 tsps black pepper

Mix all together and keep in an airtight container.


Taco Ring

Packet of ground turkey ( I usually buy the 1.25 lb packet)
1 Poblano pepper, diced
1 small onion, diced
2 1/2 cups grated cheese (Mexican mix or Sharp)
Taco mix to taste (I used 3 tbsp) or a packet of taco mix.
2 tbsp water
2 containers of large Pilsbury Crescent rolls (there are 6 to a container)

Preheat oven to 375 deg F


Cook ground turkey until pink has disappeared


Transfer to a bowl and mix in the taco seasoning, water and 2 cups of cheese


Mix in the chopped onion and poblano


Sprinkle a pizza stone with cornmeal or grease an oven tray.

Arrange the crescent rolls evenely in a circle with the wider ends towards the middle. I didn't make mine very even, as a result one portion was a little doughy. They will overlap each other, just try not bunch them up !!


Mound the meat mixture in a circle. You will have some meat mixture left over. So use those to make meatballs, hamburger patties or mix with some ground beef, egg, extra taco seasoning and extra onion to make a meatloaf.


Bring the ends of the crescent rolls over top of the meat mixture and tuck in, There will be portions of meat showing, but that is okay.


Sprinkle with the remaining half cup of cheese.


Bake in oven for 30 minutes or until golden brown.

Serve with a salad and salsa ..

19 comments:

Mrs4444 said...

Looks yummy! Did you take the fat out? (Those crescent rolls are sassy!)

Unknown said...

That looks yummy! I might have to try it :)

Nancy Rosalina said...

YUMMMY! This is a must try! Nancy

Suzanne said...

Holy cow that looks good. This is on my list.

- Suzanne, the Farmer's Wife

Jen said...

Looks delicious! I can't wait to try this.... it sounds like something our whole family would love! Thanks for sharing the recipe!

Jennifer said...

OMG that looks delicious Karen! I am seriously going to make that!

Anne said...

Looks tempting!!!

Debbie said...

I am starving and that looks delicious. I will be trying that this week because I really need a new recipe...and any take on tacos will work!

Sandra said...

That looks great, Karen. I'll be trying it. I don't know if I told you, but I tried your turkey lasagna and we loved it! You've really got us on to using ground turkey. Thanks, friend.

Keys to the Magic Travel said...

I love that pampered chef recipe. I am all about anything that can use biscuits or rolls :-)

I like the Ortega taco seasoning - and think that all the other ones are too salty. There is even a tex-mex reastaurant near us that has super salty ground beef. I only get their chicken.

John Deere Mom said...

My friend Deb at Finding Normal made something similar last week and she loved it! I guess I should try it too!

Jen said...

I tagged you for a meme, so visit my blog for the details. I can't wait to see your post!

Chris H said...

This looks amazing! Where on earth am I going to get a pizza stone? What is: A Poblano pepper and Pilsbury Crescent rolls? What would the New Zealand equivalent be?

Jen said...

I left something for you over on my blog... hope you like it!

The Me/ The Wife/ The Mom said...

Hey! I like your blog sooooo much...that I'm passing on a fabulous blog award to you and yours!

Stop by the Goo Goo Ga Ga to pick it up!

I hope you are well...haven't seen posts lately!

John Deere Mom said...

Where are you?!

Jennifer said...

Hey Karen! Where have you been?? Hope all is well!!

Keys to the Magic Travel said...

Karen--
Do we need to file a missing persons report?! Miss hearing from you!!

Anonymous said...

This is easy to do and to follow. I will definitely do it with my kids! Stretch Marks Removal Creams