Thursday, 5 March 2009

Apricot Chicken



One of my favourite comfort foods. :-)

I did have photos of the whole process, but somehow they appear to have disappeared off my camera and out of my photo folder. The only survivor was a photo of the finished product ..

Apricot Chicken

*6 Skinless chicken thighs (you can also use chicken breasts, as I did. I cut three large breast halves in half))
*40 g (1 1/4 oz)packet of French Onion soup mix (I used a packet of Lipton's Beefy onion soup/dip mix. I've also browned a sliced onion till slightly caramelized and used that, when I forgot the soup mix.)
*425 ml (14 fl oz) can of apricot nectar (in the US, you can find the Kern's brand in the supermarket drinks aisle, usually)
*425 g (14 oz) can of apricot halves, drained. (If you can't find the apricot nectar, use the juice from the apricots instead.)

Preheat oven to 180 deg C (350 deg F).

Place the chicken in an ovenproof dish. Mix the onion soup mix with the apricot nectar and pour over the chicken.

Bake, covered for 50 minutes.

Add the drained apricot halves and bake for another 5 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. Serve with mashed potatoes or rice to soak up the juices.

I also sometimes add a couple of chopped cloves of garlic and a touch of hot sauce, before baking..

2 comments:

Rhea said...

That looks FABULOUS. Seriously yummy, and it sounds delicious. I saw the photo and had to read the post. yum...

Jen said...

Looks delicious!