Friday, 4 April 2008

Caribbean Chicken Stew





Found this in 'USA Weekend', which arrives with our local Sunday paper. Looked interesting, so decided to give it a try.

The meal got the thumbs up from J and it's certainly something that I will make again. I think that next time, I will drain the black beans before adding them to the pot. The undrained beans gave the stew a sort of grayish look and a slightly overpowering taste. I'm also going to use fresher spices as I think mine were a bit old!! I'm also thinking of adding a bit of grated fresh ginger. I also steamed the chicken first.
**************

Caribbean Chicken Stew (serves 8)

2 Tbsp canola oil (I used olive)
1 large yellow onion, chopped
1 large green pepper, chopped (I think I'll use a poblano next time)
3 garlic cloves, crushed
2 tsps cinnamon
1 tsp each, allspice and nutmeg
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper, or to taste
Salt to taste (I left that out)
1 bay leaf
1 16 oz can diced tomatoes, no salt added
2 cups 99% fat free, low sodium chicken broth
1 1/2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cooked and pulled into strips
1 1/2 cups of winter squash, cubed (or substitute thick cut zucchini slices)
1 15.5 oz can black beans, undrained
4 limes cut into quarters
Optional: cooked brown rice

Heat oil in a large pot. Add onion, garlic and green pepper and saute for 3 mins. Add spices, saute 3 mins. Add tomatoes, broth, chicken, squash and beans. Simmer, covered for 20 - 25 mins, or until squash is cooked, stirring occasionally. Remove bay leaf. Serve over optional brown rice with juice from lime wedges.

Nutritional info per serving - 221 calories, 18g carbs, 23g protein, 6g fat(1g saturated), 60mg cholesterol, 6g fiber, 274mg sodium.

I work that out to be 4 Weight Watchers points per serving, approx 1 cup. Add extra for rice. I had half a cup which brought the total to 6 WW points.

Cheers :-)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good dispatch and this fill someone in on helped me alot in my college assignement. Thank you for your information.