Thursday, 13 March 2008

Rediscovering your lost middle

Pregnancy, weight, middle age and menopause have all wrecked havoc on my middle section. Now I know I'm never going to sport a six-pack in that area, however, I'd like to at least see a little definition!!!

I'm eating right, the fat is beginning to melt away, so I guess the final ingredient is exercise. I've never really been a fan of sit ups or traditional crunches. I never seem to be able to get myself in the right position and usually end up hurting my neck or back, depending on which one I'm doing.

These fighting the flab exercises, from the Today Show, look as though they could be the answer. I like the idea of reverse crunches, they look easier to do correctly and certainly would not put any strain on your neck or back. The 'plank' and the 'twist' also look relatively easy to do.

As with any type of exercise, it's best to start off slowly and add repetitions as you get stronger. You want to feel some muscle fatigue/burn, but not that much that you make yourself that sore that you're put off. Drink some water beforehand and remember not to hold your breath while you're doing the crunches or other exercises.

Cheers

No comments: