Wednesday, 13 August 2008

THE 80'S

Okay, apparently it is now my turn for anonymous persons to contact me. I just got an email suggesting that I was a terribly ungrateful person, who did not appreciate what Heather had done re SITS and I needed to be ignored for dissing her in this way.

Anonymous Person ... I am not dissing (who uses that word anyway) Heather. I actually respect her and what she has accomplished. What I wrote is in no way intended to put Heather down and I'm pretty sure, if she reads my post, she will not take it that way and I'm sure if she was upset, she would let me know. Sheeesh ... people, lighten up!!!

Now, back to the program...


Heather at Mindless Junque recently wrote a post where she suggested that 80's music was gag provoking .

Now don't get me wrong ... I absolutely LOVE Heather. We have things in common, like being mothers of twins and having four kids ..... but, in this case, she is soooooo wrong about music from the 80's and I just couldn't let it go. :-)

In all fairness, 60's music tends to promote the same gag reflex in me. Probably because those were my High School years and there was all that Teenage Angst thing going on.

The 80's were one of my calmer decades. My kids were young. I was relatively happy and I thought I'd reached peace after years of turmoil.

So may I present some of my favourites from the 80's.

' Don't Dream It's Over ' - Crowded House

'Crowded House' was formed in Melbourne, Australia by a New Zealander, Neil Finn. They recently reformed and are touring again. YAAAYYY !! ' Don't Dream It's Over ' was written by Neil after a fight with his wife Sharon.



' I Come From The Land Down Under ' - Men At Work

' Men At Work ' is an Australian group and this song is probably one of their best known. The video is really cheesy, but they look as though they had a lot of fun making it.


' Six Months In A Leaky Boat ' - Split Enz

'Split Enz ' was a New Zealand group, formed by brothers Tim and Neil Finn . I like the intro into this video and the outro at the end. This is not played when they sing it live. Neil Finn went on to form 'Crowded House'. His brother Tim joined him on a part-time basis. Presently they are performing as the 'Finn Brothers' and they have just announced that 'Split Enz' is reforming .


'Beds Are Burning' - Midnight Oil

And Australian Rock Band. ' One of my favourite from that era. 'Beds Are Burning' was one of their songs that made it on to the Billboard charts, here in the US.


When it comes down to it ... all decades had songs that were best forgotten and those that will live on through the years.....

16 comments:

Trooper Thorn said...

I am with you on Neil Finn and his bands. The 80's had some great music: Genesis, Rush etc.

Keys to the Magic Travel said...

I saw Men at Work in concert when I was a teenager. Second concert I went to. After Adam Ant :-)

And Trooper Thorn - I think you must have a y chromosome to enjoy Rush. My husband is a huge fan. I went to a concert once with him. I think I was the only female there. Now he goes either with his guy friends. Or by himself :-)

Chris H said...

I was a teenager in the 70's , so kinda love that music the best, though the 80's was good too. NOw I just love all sorts !

Rhea said...

That's true...all decades had some good and some bad. I'm a musical dork, so don't ask me...

Lori said...

My Sirius radio in the van is always on "80's Hits"! I guess songs from the 80's bring back good memories of my infancy. ;)

Jo-Jo said...

I love that Men at Work song! Of course anything from the Police rocks my 80's world as well.

...to Lose 55 Pounds said...

I nominated you for a blog award...check my site for details! =)

I'm a child of the 80's! Great music!

Suzanne said...

I love Men at Work and lots of the '80's music. The 70's was a strange musical decade.

And I suppose someone didn't understand the concept of having fun with each other. Playful jabs......

- Suzanne, the Farmer's Wife

Jennifer said...

I've been hearing about this anonymous person all over the place!

I LOVE 80s music--I don't know where I was in the 90s--but somehow I missed all the music? Anyway--take this 80s music quiz. It's fun!!

http://www.yetanotherdot.com/asp/80s.html

Jennifer said...

P.S. I LOVE the Split Enz!!

Heather said...

Oh my stars, I am here to assure everyone that I am officially not offended in any way by this post. Thank you so much for thinking of me and looking out for my feelings, but I'm okay.

In fact, I should edit my post to be more specific. So many people have brought up U2 (whom I LOVE), REM, Men at Work, Midnight Oil... I love all of these bands and I overlook them in my gut reaction to Phil Collins, Madonna, Tiffany, etc. Maybe 80's POP is what I don't like. Yeah, that's it!! I should make that distinction.

And I love Karen to death. I'm a regular reader in no way offended. :o)

leezee52 said...

I really haven't listened to the music of the 80"s I was too busy raising 2 little ones. I guess the music of the 80's just passed me by.

FarmGirl said...

MIdnight Oil...oh, how I'd almost forgotten about them. I am downloading as soon as I leave here! Thanks for the "good 80's" flashback. I too, loved the 80's, even the pop stuff (mainly cuz I was young & didn't know any better) Now the 80's pop just makes me laugh! My daughter cringes when I sing along with the "FlashBack Lunch" featuring 80's music! Gosh...I used to think I was so cool singing Tiffany's "I think We're alone now" or the dreaded NKOTB! I am shaking my head now at the mere thought of my seeing them in concert! How embarrasing....thank goodness my identity is safe!! LOL Thanks for stopping in my blog the other day!

trash said...

How about Misex, remember'Computer Games'?

Thanks for stopping by Trash Towers today and saying G'day. I watch the Remembrance Sunday service here every year.

Lula! said...

We are now BFFs forever. 'Cause Crowded House's "Don't Dream It's Over" is on my top 10 of all-time favorite songs. EVER!

Just so you know.

Unknown said...

I am a HUGE fan of everything 80's! What is the deal with "anonymous " stalking the blog world? Creepy... I better shut up before I get a nasty email!