Wednesday, 20 August 2008

Open Mouth, Insert Foot ..... The past Week .... And Awards...

Was a bit shocked to realise that I hadn't posted for about a week. Life has been a little busy lately.

School is back in full swing. This year I'm volunteering in three classes, Kindergarten, 1st Grade and 2nd Grade. The last two groups are not too bad. They're all mainly kids that were in the 1st and Kindergarten classes I was with last year. It's been pretty cool to watch them grow both physically and in knowledge, over the couple of years.

This years Kindergarten class is a different story. We now have 30 kids with a number of them having behavioural problems and language difficulties. Add the current heat wave that we have been experiencing, by the end of the day I'm exhausted and wondering why the heck I'm putting myself through all this!!! Then I go into the 1st and 2nd Grade classes and realise that eventually you do get results and it is worth it. :-)

To add to the general mayhem, that seems to be my life right now, my neighbour seriously broke her leg just over a week ago. She's only 3 years older than me, but she thinks and acts like somebody alot older. She's pretty much alone as far as family and that goes, so I and another neighbour have been taking care of her since she got out of the hospital. Her Dr wanted to put her into a nursing home, but she is stubbornly refusing to go. She's being a really good incentitive to me right now as far as exercising and staying active and in a young frame of mind goes!!!!

Now to the open mouth, insert foot. For once, my mouth and my foot were not involved .. which is rather a relief, to me, at least.

I was on the bus this morning, heading off to one of my favourite stores. Sitting across from me were two Hispanic women and in the sideways seat in front of me were an Asian man and a Hispanic boy. There were a couple of Hispanics sitting behind me as well. In fact, other than the driver and me, there was only one other European on the whole bus.

This passenger, a male, looked over at me and said 'F****ing foreigners, they keep letting them in and they're going to outnumber us soon!!'

Now, he obviously thought that I was an American and would be sympathetic. So I smiled sweetly at him and said in my best Kiwi accent 'You're so right and we really are trying our best to make that happen.'

I really wish I'd had my camera with me. His open mouth and the look on his face, would have made a perfect photo for Candid Carrie's Foto Friday Fiesta !! :-)

And on to awards. I've received this award from three people recently.


My apologies in not acknowledging it before. Thankyou so much to Therese , Lori and that lovely Mrs444 . Thankyou again, one and all. I'm so touched that you thought of me. I now have to choose 7 people to forward it on to. That I will do in the next few days, I promise.

Also. Mrs444 gave me this lovely shout out on Sunday. I really appreciate these words from this lovely lady who has a son with the same name as one of mine. :-) Hop over to her blog and give her some comment love!!

9 comments:

Tiffany said...

Good for you. I cannot believe that ass said that... people like that give Americans a bad name, and I for one am tired of it. Unless your an American Indian (and in some states Hispanic) you ARE a foreigner!

Mrs4444 said...

You're too kind, my friend! I loved your comment; way to think "on the fly"! And it's no big deal, but it's my daughter whose name is Kendall :) BTW, I'm going camping today and won't be back til Sunday night; mind the fort for me, will you?! :)

Suzanne said...

Oh Karen, there you are. I'm glad you're back.

There are ugly Americans everywhere, I swear. And Karen, my grandmother was an American Indian. I saw the most awesome poster one time, it said "The Original Homeland Security" and the picture was a group of Indian braves! HA HA.

- Suzanne, the Farmer's Wife

Aubrey said...

Some people! Way to be quick on the draw! I wish I could have seen his face.

What a busy week (or so) that you have had! I'm tired just reading.

Keys to the Magic Travel said...

I love what you said! I am never quick on the draw. I would have thought about the come back three days later.

Welcome back :-)

Chris H said...

Yiks someone gave me that award a while ago... still havn't done anything about it! NAUGHTY ME. Corned Beed, potatoes and.. onions and peas! Stuff the cabbage!!!! lol

Chris H said...

Can MY Steve live with your Steve??? Trying to get that boy to get out of my house is WORSE than getting him outta me womb! And that's saying something, cos he was 10 pound 12 ouces!!!! *shaking me head* ...lol only joking about him moving in with your son BTW.

Sydney said...

Glad you're back!!! I love that you zinged that guy right back for his ignorance!

As for the staying fit stuff, I can't stress enough how important it is to stay fit as you get older. My dad gets zero exercise and has slowed down completely (he's 67) my mom on the other hand exercise 3-4 times a week, and she's still going strong (she's 59). And staying in shape physically can help you mentally too. I've found that since I started exercising again, my moods are much more stable!

Jill said...

Oh I do love the witty comebacks when people make horrible remarks like that man did!

It's nice to finally "meet" you. I've seen you around cyberspace for awhile... :)