Wednesday, 24 September 2008

Friday Foto Finish Fiesta - Frustrated Fotographer :-)

It's Friday and it's a Fiesta !! At least it is, thanks to Candid Carrie ! :-)

As mentioned in my previous post, I'm a bit of a frustrated, wannabe, photographer.

I'm definitely on a learning curve. I often find beauty in all sorts of weird and wonderful things. Sometimes, what I see with my eye translates well through my camera lens and other times what I'm trying to convey flies wide of the mark.

I was playing around with the settings on my camera, a small HP Photosmart that J gave me for Xmas a couple of years ago, snapping candid photos of Taylor, who I think was getting a little bored with the whole exercise. Especially, I think, with my calls of 'Taylor, look at me. I was interrupting her viewing of 'Hannah Montana' , you see ...

Anyway, these are a couple of shots that I caught. I was using the sepia setting and I then 'spotlighted' the photo, which darkens the background and highlights her face.

I rather like the effect. Her Mum, thought she looked a bit sad... (Well, if someone was firing a flashy thing off in your face, while you were trying to watch HM, then you might look a bit sad too :-) .. )

I think she looks a bit pensive. She has that 'Not again, I'm trying to concentrate!' look.

What do you all think? Constructive criticism gratefully received !! :-)


14 comments:

Keys to the Magic Travel said...

She looks like my daughter. In that whole tween hormonal thing. Do I HAVE to do________. I think you've captured that angst perfectly :-)

Lori said...

Oooh, I like them! I'm no photography expert, but I can tell you that I love the sepia thing. And your subject is, of course, beautiful.

I used to think my little ones had to be saying "cheese" in all the pictures I took of them. But now I'm glad I have pictures of their different expressions and moods.

Jen said...

Beautiful pictures! You take WONDERFUL photos!

Anonymous said...

She looks darling, in a typical kid's "do I have to do this?" way. Cute.

Chris H said...

Awesome photos Karen! I just found my camera does the black n white shots too... but havn't done any experimenting yet. I kinda like colour! Well... blue most!

Heather said...

I love them both, but the second one is striking.

Weeksie50 said...

I think the pictures are beautiful. And your girl is a cutie.. She is probably just in the I don't wanna do it phase.. It seems like we all enter that stage.. but now.. If a camera is out.. Girl. I am striking a pose.. lol. Seriously.

Susie said...

I think that they are great. I agree with Kat...you have captured her angst:-)

Mrs4444 said...

The second one is my favorite; beautiful.

Miz Dinah said...

Ahahaha...can you feel the love? That's priceless. :)

Rhea said...

I love the second photo. Really nice and clean, captures emotion, very nice!

Gramma 2 Many said...

Beautiful, absolutely beautiful.
Like the second one the best, but they are both keepers.

Unknown said...

I think they are both great!... I love black & white (sepia)
75% of all of Eva's pictures have the same "not again" look

Tara said...

I think they look great...she was involved in something else when the pics were taken and that shows, but it's totally ok- it captures the moment!

Does your camera actually take the pic in sepia and spotlighted or do you do that after they've been uploaded (like mine)?