Friday, 21 March 2008

Shoes......

It's taken me awhile, but I finally gave into J and bought some decent running shoes.

A large percentage of my ancestry is Scottish and my shopping for shoes reflects this. With the amount of walking I do, my shoes do not last long, so I tend to look for *bargains* when I shop. Those US$15 joggers did the job, as far as I and my Scottish ancestors, were concerned!! Also, isn't it perfectly normal for your feet, ankles, knees, hips and everything else, to hurt after a 5 mile walk???

Last Saturday, while out shopping, J gently nudged me towards one of our local sports stores and even offered, without complaining, to sit out front with the shopping, while I went in to look.

I will admit, my face blanched a bit at some of the prices. However, I took a deep breath, put the lid firmly on the ancestors and allowed the associate (that's what they call shop assistants, these days) to fit me with a pair of runners. I hadn't realised that there was so much to consider in getting the correct shoes. What type of arches did I have? When I walked did my feet point inwards or outwards? What way did my feet roll? And so on and so on.

Eventually, surrounded by what seemed an acre of shoes, I found a pair that felt right .... including the price. Not feeling too much grave spinning from the ancestors, I went ahead and purchased them. J was surprisingly cheerful, despite being left babysitting the shopping for a good 40 minutes or so.

The upshot of all this, is that J was right all along and I should have listened to him ages ago!! My new shoes have made a huge difference to my comfort level, when out walking. I still get a little discomfort in my legs, but it's what I'd expect, considering the distances I walk. The discomfort also goes away very quickly. I'm not still aching the next day, which tended to limit my enthusiasm, and the amount of effort, for exercising.

So, gag your ancestors, save your pennies, adopt a stiff upper lip and get a decent pair of shoes for walking/running in. I thoroughly recommend it!! :-)

Cheers

No comments: