Thursday, 3 July 2008

Of Cupcakes and Cake Plates

I recently found this post on At Home With The Farmer's Wife about how to make pedestal cake plates. I tell ya, this woman could give Martha Stewart a run for her money!

So today, Taylor and I decided to make some 4Th July cake plates and of course, something to put on them, cupcakes!

We decided that we wanted to fill the pedestal base with tiny foil stars and paint the plate with red, white and blue stars. So we set off to find something suitable.

We found what we wanted at Big Lots. Three large, clear glass plates and three small, glass candlesticks for the grand total $8.64 plus tax.

Followed Suzanne's precise instructions on how to assemble the plates. First time I'd ever worked with the epoxy glue that comes in the two syringes. I discovered that you need to make sure that you have the base exactly where you want it, because after a few seconds it's there for good, especially if you press down hard on it. As a result, one plate has it's base slightly off center, but that just adds to the uniqueness. :-)



Taylor had fun painting stars on the plates, with the help of a glowing eyed Meesha ! It's the most intent that I've seen Taylor, on a task, for awhile.



The base of the plate.



The finished plates.



Taylor very proud of the plates and the cupcakes that she'd made

Mind you, that plate of cupcakes almost came to a rather sticky end. As when she got in the car to go home with her Mum, she almost sat on them!

Happy 4Th July, everyone !!!

10 comments:

John Deere Mom said...

What a great idea! And it looks like a success! I might just have to try it...thanks!

Suzanne said...

You did a terrific job!!! Isn't it fun? It was a good idea to let her paint the stars because epoxy is unforgiving in it's ability to stick things together.

Thanks for mentioning me!

- Suzanne, the Farmer's Wife

Unknown said...

How CUTE! Maybe we will have to try that next year! Have a super 4th! Hug- T

Unknown said...

John Deere Mom - It was great fun and she was so proud of herself!!

Suzanne - Thankyou :-) And yes, she wanted to glue, but I had visions of sending her home to he Mum, with a plate permanantly fixed to part of her body.

AIN - And hugs right back atcha!!

Debbie said...

I love it! What a great project to do with my kids. So, I will be stealing it ;)

Lori said...

That is very cool! The face in the last picture is sweeter than the cupcakes. :)

Ashley. Unscripted... said...

I am so loving the Meatloaf on your playlist. Loving it!

Keys to the Magic Travel said...

You should hear my squeals of delight. And exclamations of how freakin' cute that is. If I have ever seen a project that might pull me from my uncraft corner...this might be it. Mostly so I could have a reason to make cup cakes :-)

Chris H said...

Hi Karen, just wanted to pop over and say a huge THANK YOU for all your lovely comments over this past week, Stew and I really appreciated them so much. HUGS to you and I hope you are having a great weekend.

Heather said...

They turned out SO CUTE! I like how you put stars in the base. You're so creative.