Wednesday, 16 July 2008

Wednesday's Video Hodge Podge ...

Okay, so I changed the name of what I was going to post on Wednesdays. Mainly because I found the video below and decided that there were all sorts of videos that interested me and not just commercials. So every Wednesday, I'm going to share one with you. Aren't I just toooooo kind? :-)

Feel free to join in, if you want. Send me the link to your post and I'll add it to my Wednesday post.

This is a blast from the past and a song that I loved when it was released around 1963. Listening to it now, I'm still in love with it!!

Kyu Sakamoto (1941-1985)

'Sukiyaki'



Pasted from the description of the video.

*****************************************
Kyu Sakamoto sings Sukiyaki at the TV show "shall we meet at seven?" in 1963.

From the Newspaper:
KYU SAKAMOTO (Capitol)
HOME TOWN: Kawasaki, Japan. AGE: 22 BACKGROUND: Kyu (pronounced "Q") has been a big star in Japan for almost four years, racking up eight best selling albums and 15 hit singles in that time, as well as acting in movies and television appearances. When Washington state disk jockey Rich Osborne (KORD) played a track from a Toshiba LP for his audience recently, entitled "Ue O Mui Te Aruko" the response was so favourable that the disk was soon one of the most popular in Washington State. Capitol Records, the U.S. associate of Toshiba decided to release it in this country, but changed the name to "Sukiyaki."


The Lyrics:
Looking up while walking
Ue wo muite arukou

So the tears won't fall
Namida ga koborenai youni

Remebering those spring days
Omoidasu haru no hi

All alone at night
Hitoribocchi no yoru

Looking up while walking
Ue wo muite arukou

And counting the scattered stars
Nijinda hoshi wo kazoete

Remembering those summer days
Omoidasu natsu no hi

All alone at night
Hitoribocchi no yoru

Happiness lies above the clouds
Shiawase wa kumo no ue ni

Happiness lies above the sky
Shiawase wa sora no ue ni

Looking up while walking
Ue wo muite arukou

So the tears won't fall
Namida ga koborenai youni

Keep walking on, while crying
Naki nagara aruku

It's a lonely night
Hitoribocchi no yoru

Omoidasu aki no hi
Remembering those autumn days

Sadness is in the shadow of the stars
Kanashimi wa hoshi no kage ni

Sadness is in the shadow of the moon
Kanashimi wa tsuki no kage ni

Looking up while walking
Ue wo muite arukou

So the tears won't fall
Namida ga koborenai youni

Keep walking on, while crying
Naki nagara aruku

It's a lonely night
Hitoribocchi no yoru

It's a lonely night
Hitoribocchi no yoru

6 comments:

Lula! said...

Looooooooooooooooooove this song. My Dad used to played it all the time when I was a child. Thanks for bringing back great memories...

Suzanne said...

Oh I remember this. I can still sing along. What a great blast from the past.

- Suzanne, the Farmer's Wife

Chris H said...

quaint... don't think I had ever heard it before. Shame he died so young too..... hope you are haivng a great day chick.

Debbie said...

Where in the heck did whoever posted that up on You Tube find that!!? I am amazed. I remember hearing that song...the English version, I think, on an old movie perhaps? I can't remember, but I know of it. And hearing it now just reminds me of a simpler time you know. What a fun fun post, Karen.

Lori said...

Dude, I thought that bicycle was going to run into the camera!

Anonymous said...

Boy, I haven't heard THAT song in a long time! I always liked it. Thanks for the "trip down memory lane."