Sunday, 22 June 2008

The Ladies Do Lunch

On Friday, two of my favourite teachers, took Taylor and I to lunch. It was a thank you for the time I spent , this year, volunteering in their classroom.

Before I continue, I'm sure that Cyndia, on the left, would want me to point out that she does not have a bald spot on her head! That is Cheryl's thumb. Cheryl was making a rabbit ears sign, behind Cyndia's head, as I snapped this photo.

In many ways, this photo says a lot about the deep friendship that these two have for each other. It's been a pleasure and a privilege to work with them this year.

Cyndia has, sadly, retired. A casualty of the new health insurance that the State has moved to. We have lost a lot of good teachers because of this stupid move. The local paper did a lovely article about Cyndia's 38 years of teaching. Cyndia, you are a true gem. I'm working hard at trying to convince her, that what she really needs now, is a working holiday, teaching, in New Zealand. ;-)

Cheryl, even though she would probably disagree, is one of the most unflappable people that I have ever met. She is really going to miss Cyndia, as they have team taught ever since Cheryl started teaching.

These two finished the year, with 33 kids in their class. There were 26 boys and 7 girls. To say that a fair few of these kids were *challenging* would probably be a bit of an understatement, especially in regards to some of the boys. Despite this, and other challenges/obstacles, their pupils made great strides forward, which is all credit to the teaching abilities of these two special educators.

So, Cheryl and Cyndia, the party may be over, but I raise my glass to both of you. Thank you for a wonderful year. :-)

Cheers...

2 comments:

Apple Joos said...

26 boys?!

*falls out of chair*

Anonymous said...

Wonderful post. I'm so glad you were there to help these two gems. I'm sure they will miss each other professionally, but I'm guessing they'll be forever friends :)